Have you lost your Egg Genie measuring cup?

Have you lost your Egg Genie measuring cup?

EggGenie

Here are the amounts  in teaspoons of water:

• 4 tsp = 6 soft boiled eggs
  • 17 tsp = 5 hard boiled eggs
  • 18 tsp = 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 20 tsp = 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 21 tsp = 2 hard boiled eggs
  • 23 tsp = 1 hard boiled egg

12 tsp = 1/4 cup

Thanks to this customer discussion on Amazon.com.

And to those of you that design products like this, here are a few tips:

1. Put this list ON THE LID!!! Make it part of the plastic so it can’t rub off.
  2. Print this list IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!!
This entry was posted in PowellNews and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Have you lost your Egg Genie measuring cup?

1. griderg says:

lost the manual. is there anyhere i can down load the pdf manual free

2. vicki says:

Thanks for your help…but what are the water measurements for the egg poacher that comes with some models? If you don’t know I will make a guess. Thanks again!

3. vicki says:

What are the measurements for poached eggs? Some models have a poaching tray. Thanks for your help.

4. Sam says:

According to the instruction manual the poacher uses the same measurments as medium boiled eggs.

5. nick says:

its great for poaching moose meat

6. jihae says:

thanks so much! i have to make 10 hard boiled eggs for my daughter’s class tomorrow and i lost my egg genie cup. thanks thanks thanks.

7. Theo says:

Thanks a million for putting this info out! I lost my measuring cup as well.

8. yecart_13 says:

Thank you so very much for posting this!

9. Scott says:

why is it you need more water for less eggs?

10. Devlin says:

Translated instructions from French to English

Usage: For soft-boiled eggs, medium-hard:

Note: Times vary function of box size and number of eggs to cook, temperature and quantity of water used, the atitude and how long the eggs will donations cooker Once the cooking cycle complete (alarm).

1. Open the plastic cover. Remove the egg tray and set aside.

2. Fill the bottom of the aluminum plate with cold water (we recommend using distilled water stains on preventive eggs) using the measuring cup provided for this purpose. The marks on the cup indicates the amount of water to pour over the aluminum plate to obtain the desired constitance (hard, medium-hard or calves) and the number of boiled eggs (1-7)

3. Place the egg tray on the base of the unit.

4. WARNING: The steel rod on the egg tray is very sharp. using the steel rod located on the egg tray, make a small hole in the tapered end of each egg. (See illusrastion above)

5. The egg tray holds up to 7 eggs. Place each egg in the pan, making sure the hole is facing up. Make sure the eggs are not in direct contact with the aluminum plate when deposited in the egg tray.

6. Make sure you have dry hands. Plug into the power outlet. The power indicator lights. When the eggs are cooking, do not stand near the opening in the transparent plastic cover, as steam escapes during cooking.

7. When the water evaporates, the eggs should have obtained the desired consistency. The cooking time depends on the number of eggs to be cooked and the desired consistency.

8. Once the eggs ready, a continuous buzzing sound is heard until the power is turned off (disconnected). Unplug the unit. NOTE: Always Débranzhez the device to avoid overcooking the eggs.

9. Let the unit cool down without removing the plastic cover.

10. When the unit has cooled, lift the clear plastic cover, be careful, as steam may escape from the device. Lift the tray from the sides. Do not touch the aluminum plate, as it may be hot.

11. Remove the eggs. Pass them under cold water. The eggs are now ready to be served.

11. willsuth says:

Is this a joke — I’ve been trying to do poached eggs for some time and just noticed the problem: the more eggs you softboil, the less water you use. Da!
    Does anyone have the real instructions?

12. Dave Butler says:

Thanks – this helped a lot when we lost our measuring cup!

13. Joanna says:

I have misplaced the instruction manual. I need the measure numbers to use for hard boiled, soft boiled and poached. It would be great to know where to get a copy of the instruction manual…… thanks

14. Holdemnutz says:

I just read these comments and blew beer through my nose when I read the moose one. very funny, my kinda humor.
    I was looking to see if anyone had a good time for perfect hard-boiled. When I wait for buzzer the yoke is turning grey, too well done for me.

15. Wendy says:

I had an egg cooker for 20 years, but it only made 8 eggs and I always wanted over a dozen. Being a little lazy I bought this. My other egg cooker is the opposite of this. That one tells me to put 2/3 of a cup of water and if I like them a little more done to put an extra Tbsp in it. I don’t understand the less water for more egg deal. I guess I’m going to mess my cooker up, but I’m putter more water in it. I have the measuring cup that came with it and when I looked at it I was so confused. I just don’t understand why you would put less water in it for more eggs.

16. j says:

Got my Egg Genie at a second hand store. Looked like it had only been used once. Had no measuring cup with it tho. Thanx so much!

17. Drew says:

Hey just thought i would solve another mystery of the Egg Genie:

I live at 8,500 feet above sea level so water boils at this altitude at roughly 195 degrees Farenheit or 92 degrees Celsius. So the little Egg Genie must be tricked into thinking you have more or fewer eggs to cook properly. So at sea level 2 eggs hard boiled take around 3 oz of water at 8,500 ft it takes 4 oz….
    Have not experimented much for other types but medium boiled for 2 is 3 oz in this neat little gem of a device. Hope this was helpful.

18. Jennifer says:

I think I know why you use MORE water for LESS eggs….I’m no scientist, but here goes:

The more eggs there are in the cooker, the less air there is around them for the steam to heat up. If you only cook one or two eggs, the steam has to heat up a lot more area in order to cook the eggs. Kind of like how it takes LESS energy to run your freezer when it’s full as opposed to when it’s empty. Doesn’t seem to make sense at first, but when you think about it, it does.

19. Jay says:

I lost my measuring cup as well. What I wanna know is who is the genius that wrote the damn instruction manual and left out the measurements to use the Genie?!

Anyway, thanks Steve, for posting the info.

20. Anne says:

Devlin’s French to English translation could use a few tweaks but it was helpful since we lost the instructions in one of our moves and my husband loves egg salad and deviled eggs which require hard boiling.
    The first sentence in step 2 should read: “we recommend using distilled to prevent stains on eggs,” while the last part of the instruction should read: “to obtain the desired consistency (hard, medium or soft)…” there are no bovines involved with egg production despite the Christie mistrals’ song (“one day this rooster came into our yard”).
    In step 8 The admonition probably is to “unplug” I’m not certain where he got Debranzhez. Again thanks Devilin it was a big help for me.

21. Nancy says:

I just picked one up at a thrift shop. No measuring cup, so thanks!. I’d like to know what the little egg shap thing is for?

22. Jack says:

Thanks for posting this. I was about to buy a new one after wasting a ton of eggs.

23. Sandy says:

You do use more water when there are fewer eggs – here is another guide: http://westbend.com/support/product-faqs/egg-cooker/measuring-cup.html

24. Patti says:

I have used and owned older egg cookers (am over 60) – and a friend of mine who has one probably from the 60s, its lines are MARKED INSIDE – embossed metal. I think the biggest question that should be asked, is about its DESIGN – WHY DOES it NEED A MEASURING CUP at all; why this ‘design’? And why do the parts not all fit in the cooker when finished with the unit- WHY hmm?? Also- really- IS this measuring cup that important? I’ve yet to have killed my eggs- and poaching can be done by eye. Also, I’m tired of this lid flying around when I try to put the thing away in the cupboard. I too wonder about how much water is used, so few differences- and think perhaps the less water used, the longer the unit goes and so its just heat, not water boiling. (roll of eyes). I’m opting for guesswork- about 75% water in a 1/4 measuring cup for my eggs (always 6 or 7 now lol)

25. Debbie says:

Thank you!!

26. Carrie says:

1st: The reason for more water for less eggs is because the additional eggs hold in the heat- like an insulation of sorts ;)
    2nd: The little egg shaped thing on the end had me baffled but i think i figured it out tonight when my 11year old son couldn’t figure out how to take off the lid… The egg shape serves as the handle to lift the dome as it does not get hot! ;)
    3rd: Thanks for the measurements! Our little measuring cup went missing.

27. Zoe says:

I love you… so much right now. *resumes boiled egg addiction*

28. Jess says:

Thanks for the help!

29. Interested Reader says:

Add to the instructions: after piercing the egg place it pierced end UP.
    If you would a copy of the instruction manual please email me. Ha ha.

30. Interested Reader says:

Oh, someone asked what the little egg cup on the side was.
    1 egg cup measure = 1 soft boiled egg or 7 medium boiled eggs
    2 egg cup measures = 7 hardboiled eggs

Also, you can use the lid to collect the eggs after cooking (careful hot) and run cold water over them, as the lids drains itself too.

Thinking scientifically, more water is wasted to boil 1 egg as all the opening are uncovered, which wastes a lot of steam. If the vents are all covered with eggs, the pressure is different, the steam is more efficient under the eggs, and so it stands to reason that it should take less water (like waterless cookware) which seems to borne out by the measurments). Also, the unit is covered while boiling, so the steaming/boiling action is very intense and concentrated under the eggs. Less water in a compact space creates pressure and steam; ergo the danger of opening the unit. If you have ever used a steam cleaner you will appreciate the power of steam in cooking. For areas where water is precious but electricity plentiful from solar, battery or wind powered sources, this unit is very good way to cook eggs (until you have to cool the eggs with your precious water, which you could reuse for other purposes. I’m sure a person living a small apartment with a two burner stove might like this if their stove is busy cooking other things. Like any electric appliance, it likely has its followers.

I think you believe the measurements.

31. Interested Reader says:

Add to the instructions: after piercing the egg place it pierced end UP.

I have a copy of the instructions.

32. mary says:

I am also a second hand purchaser and the cooker was barely used but no “beaker” so thank you!

33. Belinda patrick says:

I couldn’t agree more with these comments..bought mine at a yard sale..of course no instructions..

34. Jeffery says:

judging from the large # of comments, we are not the only ones that have lost the darn measuring cup. Many thanks for the vital info.
    Jeffery

35. Bibi Lolo says:

“Débranchez ” does mean UNPLUG (from the wall socket, I imagine, since we do plug the egg-cooker into a socket).
    On the other hand, should you run into “BRANCHEZ”, you would have to push the plug into the socket…
    I agree that the detailed instructions ought to be printed where they can be spotted….but, let’s be frank… I lost my manual and the cup disappeared during a move, but we can’t fault the producer for our light-headedness… Still, I am VERY happy to now KNOW what to do about this egg-cooker which has been sitting UNUSED on my counter and which I could not use any more than any one of you…
    Made me somewhat angry since I do not have a stove in my room, BUT did fancy a breakfast egg like so many others. Thanks to whoever gave the helpful answers…. Good boiling !!!

36. sall hale says:

will this work on poach eggs too